Poppy Balser is a Canadian painter who has always lived within walking distance of the ocean, mostly on shores of the Bay of Fundy. She developed an early connection with the seashore which has deepened as she studies the sea and its environs through her paintings. She understands that wild portions of Nova Scotia's environment are a precious resource and seeks to highlight their beauty in her paintings. She paints outside often to keep her observations fresh and accurate. her goal is to transfer the open air feeling of being outside in nature into her studio work.
Balser began the serious pursuit of painting with watercolours in 2003. She has since followed a path of self directed study, choosing workshops by master painters from across the country. Over the last few years she has expanded her artistic practice to include oil painting, joining the Oil Painters of America as an associate member in early 2018.
Balser tells the "behind the scenes" stories of her paintings on her blog, where she seeks to give readers a real sense of being on the Bay of Fundy coast through her posts and videos.
Most Recent Awards:
- 2018, Second Place, Art on the Avenue, Paint Annapolis
- 2018, People's Choice, Paint the Bay, Paint Annapolis
- 2018 First Place, Kings Landing Paint the Past Plein Air Festival
- 2018, Honorable Mention, Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival
- 2018, 13th Annual ARC Salon Finalist
- 2017, Best Watercolour Award, Bermuda Plein Air Festival
- 2017, Finalist, BoldBrush painting Competition, September
- 2017, Firsts Prize, Paint the Past, Kings Landing Plein Air Festival
- 2017 April/May Plein Air Salon Competition Best Vehicle
- 2016, Second Prize, BoldBrush Painting Competition, September
- Canadian Society of painters in Watercolour, Signature Member
- American Society of Marine Artists, Signature Member
- Oil Painters of America, Associate
- Camden Falls Gallery, Camden, ME, USA
- The Flight of Fancy, Bear River, NS
- Amicus Gallery, Chester, NS
- Teichert Gallery, Halifax, NS
- Harvest Gallery, Wolfville, NS